Mr. Peña joined Allende & Brea in 2004 and became partner in 2006. He graduated from the Universidad Católica Argentina in 1995. He was legal adviser to the Ministry of Economy between 1996 and 2004, having advised different Ministers and Secretaries of Trade. He has also worked at the Argentine Antitrust Commission from 1999, when the merger control regime was introduced until 2001. Previously, he was a stagiaire at the European Commission in Brussels in 1996.
He is Professor of Competition Law at the graduate program of Universidad de Buenos Aires since 2004, and of the Universidad Torcuato Di Tella. Peña was Visiting Professor at the University of Florida in 2009. He has lectured on antitrust and trade issues at various universities and in numerous conferences in Argentina and abroad.
Mr. Peña is founder and moderator of “ForoCompetencia”, an e-group focused on competition issues with approximately 500 members from 25 countries, as well as organizing monthly meetings of members of the Argentine antitrust community.
Peña is also officer of the International Bar Association’s Antitrust Committee; a member of the International Task Force of the American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law; member of the Advisory Board of the Fordham Competition Law Institute, and an international advisor of the American Antitrust Institute.
He co-edited the book “Competition Law in Latin America. A Practical Guide (with Marcelo Calliari, Kluwer, 2016) and is the author of the book “Merger control” (2002) and of numerous articles, chapters and columns on antitrust and trade law both in foreign and local legal journals and newspapers.
Peña is fluent in Spanish, English and Portuguese.
Awards & Recognitions
Peña was selected as of:
- one of the 40 under 40 antitrust lawyers in the world in the surveys made by the Global Competition Review in 2008 and in 2012,
- one of the top antitrust lawyers in Latin America by the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA) since 2013,
- one of the 40 top antitrust lawyers in Latin America by Expert Guide’s Best of the Best in Latin America in 2015,
- one of the leading Argentine antitrust lawyer by Global Competition Review, Chambers & Partners, Legal 500, Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers, Best Lawyers, Euromoney’s Expert Guides, Acquisition International and Latin Lawyer 250, among other publications. Winner of the "Client Choice Awards 2018" in the Antitrust category (Argentina).
The following are some of the references published in the most relevant publications:
- “Julián Peña is one of Argentina’s best-known competition lawyers, both within the country and internationally, and wins accolades from peers for his skills”. Latin Lawyer 250 2018.
- “Department head Julián Peña is a respected figure in Argentina's competition field, with sources describing him as "a highly capable lawyer" and "very active." Others affirm that "he is pragmatic and very responsive." Chambers Latin America 2018.
- “The ‘highly strategic’ department head Julián Peña is ‘great to deal with’ and is an acknowledged ‘leading light in the competition sphere’.” Legal 500 2018.
- Julián Peña is described by sources as "a commercially savvy, client-friendly lawyer who provides great clarity on every issue we discuss." He is highly experienced advising multinational companies across an array of matters connected to Argentine competition law. Chambers Latin America 2017
- “The practice is led by the ‘excellent’ Julián Peña who has deep expertise in both cartel investigations and merger control cases”. Legal 500 2017
- “Julián Peña heads the practice and wins accolades from others in the legal community for his connections”. Latin Lawyer 250 2016.
- “Julián Peña is a renowned lawyer in the competition and antitrust arena. Peers view him as an influential figure in this space, while clients say: ‘He is very knowledgeable, responsive and practical. He also effectively solves issues and tries to limit any burden on the client”." Chambers and Partners 2016.
- “Julián Peña is known for his ‘responsiveness’ and for always providing ‘accurate and solid advice’”. Legal 500 2016.
- “Julián Peña is valued by clients for his knowledge and experience in competition and antitrust matters. Sources describe him as "an extraordinary professional who is responsive and widely respected by the market." Peers also note his academic merit in this space, pointing to his published works.” Chambers and Partners 2015.
- “Julián Peña is considered to be ‘one of the sharpest minds in Argentine antitrust”. Legal 500 2014.
- “”Peña is well connected, well liked and well respected”, says one rival”. Latin Lawyer 250 2014.
- “Head of department Julián Peña is a pre-eminent figure in the competition arena … Interviewees describe him as "a valuable ally and an expert in his field." They also appreciate his well-respected connections and up-to-date knowledge.” Chambers and Partners 2014.- “The team is led by the “very accessible” Julián Peña, whose advice is “practical and strategic”. Peña is a leading authority on antitrust matters”. Legal 500 2013.
- “Julián Peña is one of the market’s best-known competition lawyers”. Chambers and Partners 2013.
- “Peña is very experienced and informed in antitrust matters and has developed and excellent practice at the firm”. Chambers and Partners 2012.
- “Peña is highly recommended by clients, one of whom said: “He’s knowledgeable, careful and very responsive- I trust his advice and enjoy working with him””. Chambers and Partners 2010.
Julián Peña’s recent publications include:
- “New competition policy in Argentina” – in Burnier da Silveira, Paulo – Competition Law and Policy in Latin America. Recent Developments. Wolters Kluwer. London, 2017.
- "Competition Law in Latin America. A Practical Guide".Peña, Julián and Calliari, Marcelo (eds.), Kluwer, London, 2016.
- “The role of international cooperation in the development of competition law in Latin America” in Charbit, Nicolas and Ramundo, Elisa (editors), William E. Kovacic. An Antitrust Tribute. Liber Amicorum. Vol. II, Institute of Competition Law, New York, 2014.
- “Greater cooperation among competition agencies in Latin America”, Antitrust Chronicle. Competition Policy International, Boston, July 2014.
- “Los límites que enfrenta la defensa de la competencia en Latinoamérica”, Revista do IBRAC, Sao Paulo, 2013.
- “The limits of competition law in Latin America” in Sokol, Daniel and Lianos, Ioannis (eds.) The limits to competition Law, Princeton University Press, 2012.
- “The consolidation of competition law in Latin America”, Antitrust Chronicle. Competition Policy International, Boston, November 2011.
- Comments to the Argentine Antitrust Law in Alterini, Atilio and Alegria, Héctor – Códigos Civil y de Comercio, La Ley, Buenos Aires, 2011.
- “Antitrust enforcement in Argentina under stricter judicial review”. Antitrust Chronicle. Competition Policy International, Boston, 2010.
- “Promoting competition policies from the private sector in Latin America” in Fox, Eleanor and Sokol, Daniel (eds.), Competition Law and Policy in Latin America, Hart Publ., Oxford, 2009.
- “Competition Policies in Latin America post Washington Consensus”, in Marsden, Phillip (ed), Handbook of Research in Trans-Atlantic Antitrust. Edward Elgar, London, 2006.
- Argentine chapters of:
* Competition Law in Latin America. A Practical Guide. Peña, Julián and Calliari, Marcelo (eds.), Kluwer, (2016, with Federico Rossi).
* Global Legal Insights, GLG (2015, with Federico Rossi).
* The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Merger Control; GLG, London, (2006 (with Osvaldo Marzorati), 2010/13/14/15).
* The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Cartels and Leniency; GLG, (2008/09/13/14/15).
* Vertical Agreements. Getting the Deal Through, London (2007/08/12/13/14/15).
* The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Competition Litigation; GLG (2012/13, with Federico Rossi Rodríguez).
* The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Dominance; GLG (2009).
* The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Competititon Enforcement; GLG (2009).
* Intellectual Property and Antitrust. Getting the Deal Through (2008).